THE COB ADVANTAGE
- Thermal Mass: The earth stores heat better than any material. It helps to regulate internal temperature by slowing down the rate of heat transfer. When the external temperature is hot, its cool inside...when its cold outside its warm on the inside.
- Hydroscopic: Cob is a "moisture fly wheel". The clay in the cob helps to take the moisture out of the room if humidity is too high, conversely it provides moisture if air is too dry.
- Fire-Proof: Earth does not burn.
- Breathability: Cob walls breathe with humidity and temperature. Instead of being sealed, thus requiring forced air using HVAC systems, a cob building self-regulates because it is permeable.
- Curative: Clay is Hypo Allergenic and has been proven to absorb toxins in the air thus purifying and improving air quality in living spaces. It has been used as a healing medicine for 1000's of years.
- No VOC's or off gassing
- Cob is non-toxic and naturally resists mold growth
- Cob is a regenerative building material that can always be reused decreasing our carbon footprint of material transportation, industrial mining, industrial processing. All materials can be composted back to the earth instead of entering the waste stream.
- Cob is Long Lasting, Durable and easy to repair: Earthen homes can literally last for 1000's of years with proper maintenance.
- Cob enhances your Psychological Well Being: Human beings have evolved in nature being surrounded with a design concept referred to as: Repetition with Variation: Most all industrial building products have repetition WITHOUT variation which creates stress in our internal biology. Our homogeneous living spaces are completely contrary to nature and how homosapiens have evolved within shelter. Building with Cob stimulates our senses with undulating surfaces and textures which helps to nourish the inhabitants well being.
- Auditory benefits: Sound enhancing on the interior while muting exterior noise helps to create a quiet cozy space
- Cob is Responsive to the environment rather than resistant
- Economical: Its dirt cheap! Instead of supporting the industrial building world with money, we invest our time into using materials we create ourselves.
Mimicing Natures design and nurturing our biology by using the earth as a building medium.
Rewilding our building world
Clay - at least 20% of material
Sand – angular
Straw – not Hay
Water – The best
Wheat Paste – Binder/strengthener
Environmentally Conscious Building
Negative Ion Exchange